Tuesday, 2 March 2010

Photographer editing challenge

I recently had this idea that it would be interesting to see how different photographers would approach the same image. So I challenged fellow photographers on Twitter and Facebook to edit one of my images from one of my recent couple shoots. The interest and feedback was phenomenal - I didn't even know that many people were reading my blog! lol

Some photographers came back with a colour version, others with cross-processing effects (linked to a previous discussion on Twitter) and others went the black & white route. Each version looks different, and it was interesting to see how different details in the image was approached.

The thing I wanted to point out with the challenge was that there isn't really a right or wrong - it's all about personal taste. Each photographer has their personal style, and having all these photographers editing one of my images enabled me to see things done with it that I might not have thought of.

Have a look through the submissions below. Hope you find it inspiring and interesting to see how this little experiment turned out. Thanks a million (like the Irish say) to the photographers that took part, you guys are great sports! I've included links to their website so you can check out some of their own work as well :)

Original unedited image:

Photobucket


Rik Irons mclean - Website
Photobucket

Christine Xuan - Website
Photobucket

Nick Tucker - Website
Photobucket

Adam Robertson - Website
Photobucket

Mark Leach - Website
Photobucket

Stine Selvag - Website
Photobucket

Nathan Pask - Website
Photobucket

Nick Haigh - Website
Photobucket

Eddette @ Purple Apple Studios - Website
Photobucket

John Smith - Website
Photobucket

Haldor Lonningdal - Website
Photobucket

Charlotte Trotman
Photobucket

Jessica Williamsen - Blog
Photobucket

Karolina Zebrowska - Website
Photobucket

Marie Poegedal - Website
Photobucket

Martine Jacobsen - Website
Photobucket

Sijle Brenden - Website
Photobucket

Sylvia De Boer - Website
Photobucket

17 comments:

Ana Miranda said...

Love the original pic and I'm in love with pictures edited by Adam Robertson, Stine Selvag and Nathan Pask, but all submissions are really beautiful.

Adam Robertson Photography said...

Wooot Wooot... for some reason i thought the challenge was to do with cross processing so i cross processed mine lol!

Cecilie Harris said...

Adam, that's probably because we were discussing cross processing in the morning when I sent the challenge out. Quite a few thought the same. Added some interesting effects to this challenge I though. I liked yours! But then again I always do :)

Ana - thanks for the comment. I haven't been able to pick a favorite myself, simply because they are all so different. There is something I like with all of them.

Sylvia said...

It's indeed very interesting to see that every person chooses to edit the photo in a different way.
I liked the photo itself so I wanted to edit the photo as natural as possible. While others choose to go all the way and do some extreme editing.

Cecilie Harris said...

Indeed Sylvia. My own edit of the image was also very natural without doing anything particularly fancy to it except editing what I thought needed cleaning up :)

Stine said...

YAY! Was fun to see all the different results!
*Waiting for the next challenge* hehe...
x

Martine said...

It's fun to see the result of the challenge, and all of them are amazing! I love to enter challenges and also see the other entries. You should really have more challenges like this cec!

AnetteBP said...

What a funny thing to do! And how different are the results, I cant decide on a favourite, they are all very nice. But I love the picture in it self, its stunning! :)

Cecilie Harris said...

Thanks Stine and Martine for taking part. I'm thinking I might do another challenge at some point :)

Thanks Anette!

Adam Robertson Photography said...

I might have to do a challenge like this too (If Cecilie doesn't mind?) If she doesn't then I shall post it over on: http://adamrobertsonphotography.blogspot.com and if she's interested i'll get her to share it with you all too!

Cecilie Harris said...

Feel free to build on my idea Adam. Tis all about collaboration and sharing and learning. I'll happily take part and share with my blog readers :)

Jessica Williamsen said...

They all turned out so great! The challenge was a good idea!

Also, I love the new blog layout, you need to let me on how you did that :)

Cecilie Harris said...

Thanks Jessica, and thanks again for taking part!

Can certainly do, I got some pointers from a fellow blogger :)

Nick Haigh said...

Nick Haigh said...
It was great to see other people's processing techniqes on someone elses vision...was fun!
some lovely edits! well done all.

Cecilie Harris said...

Glad you enjoyed it Nick :)

RVDS said...

I didn't even see this challenge or I would have taken part! Let me know next time!

Cecilie Harris said...

Would have loved to have you take part. I'm planning to do another one with a fashion one, so I'll make sure to message you when I do so you can take part in that one :)