Thursday, 20 May 2010

It's oh so beautiful

I want to start sharing more wonderful photography and things to inspire you, so I want to start introducing a few guest bloggers! My first guest blogger is wonderful photographer RVDS Photography. I admire his beauty photography a lot, so I asked him to write a blog about his beauty work and thoughts around this. Hope you guys enjoy this entry and want to see more guest bloggers so I can provide diversity and inspiration to you :)



When Cecilie asked me to do a guest blog post I was like..."really... me? Why?". Of course feeling honored, and since asked to share my thoughts and experience around beauty photography, thought I'd share a few bits with you.


To give you a bit of a background, I am a London based Photographer originally from South Africa. I picked up my first camera about three and a half to four years ago, and since then my life has completely changed for the better. I am now a total camera geek and love every second of it! This is a tough industry, and without absolutely loving what you do, you might as well not do it. Photography is a passion, and one of those jobs that can be (and almost needs to be) an obsession in your life to become successful at it.


Photobucket

Anyways, have you noticed I talk too much already? So let's talk about beauty photography. It's something I'm very passionate about and am fortunate to do quite often.


Some of the key things for me when shooting beauty are:


1. Be very selective when it comes to choosing your model. I know this sounds obvious but a beauty model should have good strong features.


2. Making the most of your available light. I mostly do indoor, studio based beauty and I prefer being inside where I can control the light, have music and a kettle close at hand.


3. Keeping it simple, even with post production I try to keep it as clean and simple as possible. I then also really take my time in post production, looking at every detail. I can sometimes spend up to 4 hours retouching one image.


So there are 3 simple things I think about when doing a beauty shoot. I know they are all a bit obvious but sometimes things are a lot simpler that you might think.


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Your can check out more of RVDS Photography's work on his website, Facebook, Blog and Twitter.

No comments: