Friday, 7 May 2010

Why I love Black & White images

I love black & white images! I'm not sure I can explain exactly why, so I though I'd show you with some music and inspirational pictures.

Black & white seem to bring out the emotion, mood and story in the picture There are no colours to take focus away from what you're looking at and it just gives a cool feel to it. Would love to hear why you like black & white images :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks to Drea for explaining how to include the player part with audio visual only.

Note: These are not my images and belong to other photographers that inspire me. All images are from my inspirational folders so I can't remember where I've downloaded them. If anyone would like credit and link added, let me know and I'll link images to relevant pages.

7 comments:

Ana Miranda said...

I love black & white images. Many (if not most) of it look better than the original with colours. A part of me thinks they look more inspirational black&white (you can look at the image and related to more things, depending on what they make you remind and they let more to imagination, if that makes sense) and maybe sometimes people's appearence (i.e. skin) looks better in black & white.

Rik Irons-Mclean said...

I don't always think that black & white works, but there are some situations where you just know it is right. I have seen many shots where the black & white version looked flat due to poor lighting or lack of contrast and people just converted to black & white without thinking why.

For me usually intimate or personal things/situations work best such as these ones I took of my daughter and 3 day old son:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=172725&id=604301495&l=62cc3eb691

I shot the originals in both colour and black & white, but just didn't get any feeling with the colour versions and promptly deleted them!

lillian_cheryl said...

I think black & White brings out emotion too. I've tried to take some pictures in black and white. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.. Probably I don't have a strong skill in photography yet. But overall I love sephia too! :)

Cecilie Harris said...

Rik - I agree that B&W doesn't work for al situations, so I always look at each image and edit it in what finish I think will suit the image best. Also the flat issue can often be fixed if playing around in photoshop to give it more depth :)

Lillian - I always take colour photos, and then use Photoshop to convert to black & white if I think it will suit the image.

lillian_cheryl said...

Thanks, Cecilie! Btw, David Cook's song, PERMANENT, blends in very well with the list of photos there! Awesome! :)

Fotograf Christin Eide said...

Beautiful photos you have chosen as inspiration!

Cecilie Harris said...

Thanks Christan, you obviously have good taste :)